Wednesday, March 3, 2010


The Critical Encounters event I went to was ‘Information Piracy and Creative Commons in Contempoary Art and Design’. This even was located in the Glass Curtain Gallery located in the 1104 S. Wabash building. This exibation featured many different artists pieces and such artists were: Sze Lin Pang, Line Langballe and Christina Okai Mejborn of Totem Collective, to name a few. The gallery itself was simple in its design layout and such but the art itself was very complex.

I selected this event for 2 reasons, one was because the description of the event sounded interesting and made me curious of what it was exactly about and then the second reason was because I had to go to the building anyways to pick up some art work so it was convenient. When I first walked in I was surprised at how simple everything was, as I stated before the setup was simple but when you dove into it and looked at some of the pieces of artwork they were filled with color and mixed medias. What surprised me the most was the artwork itself, the description talked about the use of existing materials and turning them into something new but most of the art were things that were deconstructed, such as the unassembled lamps located in the middle of the gallery, when I saw these I thought they were still setting things up to be honest.


The most memorable thing about this event was probably the plasma screen they had in it that had the moving pictures you could control. I thought this was a great piece because it was interactive art at its finest, though you yourself did not pick the images you got to arrange them and decide were they ended up and that is creativity not only for the artist but the people viewing the piece, it just made it more personal.


That piece of art was one way to relate to the gallery but really that was the only way for me personally. There were two interactive stations with computers, also some headphones you could listen to, these were things that took you into the art but some of the stationary art was just kind of no-relatable for me.

I think the question that the creators of the gallery focused on might probably would have been ‘What is the process of creation? What is the process of discovery? How are they different?’ I think this because the whole exhibit itself had to do with the creation of new art out of old things, i.e. the process of creation, old to new and in the process you discover new things about either the material or your artistic abilities.

This event interacted with things we have talked about in class by relating back to the matter of fact. This whole exhibit was based off of fact, the thing themselves were fact, meaning which they were definite things, as soon as you looked at them you knew what they were or what they had been. Though that is a vauge way to relate this whole exhibit about to out class it is the only way I know how, in class we have focused more on the ‘faith’ part of these two I think and this was more on the ‘fact’ side.



All in all I think it was a well put together exhibit and had some good pieces in it, though with more time I wish I could have investigated what the video in the back was about. I watched it more a few minutes but I was not sure how far into it I was and what was going on really. Also I could not hear the sound very well so I was kinda lost. I know it was about a family and the father was talking to his children about growing up and things at the part I saw but I just wish I could have seen and understood more.

No comments:

Post a Comment